Having big muscles may be a matter of pride, especially for men or people who are in the world of sports, such as bodybuilders. Sometimes the desire to have big muscles appears quickly, not infrequently some people use steroids as a shortcut. However, is using steroids for muscles safe for the body?
Steroids are compounds that are naturally produced in the body. There are many different types of steroids that have their own functions, such as cholesterol and the male hormone testosterone. In addition to natural steroids, there are also two types of synthetic steroids, namely synthetic steroids and anabolic steroids.
- Synthetic steroids are a type of steroid that are generally used as anti-inflammatory drugs. This drug is used to cure various diseases, such as asthma, irritable bowel syndrome, eczema, arthritis, and others. This steroid works to reduce inflammation and immune system activity, making it useful in curing disease.
- Anabolic steroids, a type of steroid used to increase muscle tone, are made from synthetic materials similar to testosterone or the male sex hormone. Due to these similarities, the use of this steroid can cause male traits and characteristics to appear, such as growing a beard and mustache, as well as supporting muscle and bone development.
Anabolic steroids are medically useful for stimulating puberty in men or for inhibiting muscle loss in people with AIDS and cancer. Unfortunately, some circles illegally use anabolic steroids to build muscle, especially among athletes.
Is it safe to use steroids to build muscle?
Steroids are often misused to increase muscle, even though this is already prohibited. Steroid users can even use steroids at doses 10 to 100 times greater than the medical dose. With the use of doses far from the normal threshold, steroids can be harmful to health.
Generally, steroids enter the body through injections. The use of illegal steroids certainly does not become the sterility of the syringes used. As a result, the risk of HIV transmission or hepatitis infection may occur.
The use of anabolic steroids can make more protein available in the muscles, thus allowing the formation of larger muscles. This is what makes anabolic steroids can speed up the process of building muscle.
What are the side effects of using steroids on the body?
Basically, anabolic steroids have a structure and function that is almost the same as testosterone. However, too many anabolic steroids that enter the body can cause many adverse health effects.
Quoted from the American Addiction Center, steroid abuse for muscles in the short term can cause various effects as below.
- Acne due to hormonal imbalance
- Mood swings
- Tired or weak
- Feeling restless
- Decreased appetite
- Sleep disturbance
- Oily skin
- Jaundice, aka jaundice, or changes in the color of the skin to yellow in babies
The following are long-term effects that may arise from repeated use of steroids.
- Irritability or restlessness (roid rage)
- Paranoia or strange thoughts
- Delusions or thoughts that are contrary to reality
- High blood pressure and heart attack
- Dilation of the heart due to damage to the heart muscle
- Increased risk of stroke, kidney failure, liver disease, and liver cancer
- Steroid dependence or addiction
Steroids are powerful hormones and can affect the condition of the body. Additional steroids that enter the body can cause hormonal imbalances. This can cause physical changes to health problems, both in men, women, or adolescents.
Side effects of steroids in men
Below are additional side effects that men who overuse steroids may experience.
- Enlarged breasts
- Pain during erection
- Testicles shrink
- Decreased sperm production
- Infertility or fertility problems
- Erectile dysfunction (impotence)
Side effects of steroids in women
Women also sometimes use steroids, the following effects can be caused.
- The appearance of fine hair on the body and face
- Heavier voice changes
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Clitoral dilation
- Reduced breast size
Side effects of steroids in teenagers
For some reason, there are teenagers who try to use steroids. Below are some of the possible effects of using steroids.
- Height problems, where users can experience bone growth inhibition so they have a short body.
- In adolescent girls, steroids can cause masculinization or masculinity in women in the long term.
How to naturally build muscle?
We recommend that you use natural methods if you want to build and increase muscle mass. Do not practice instant methods such as using steroids. Try gradually by adjusting the pattern of exercise activity and nutritional intake from the food you consume.
Expand muscle strength training (strength training) on a regular basis. You also need to eat more protein sources, which are actually enough to make your muscles grow bigger.
To get maximum results, you may need the help of a personal trainer at the gym to determine the portion and type of exercise. Consult a doctor or nutritionist to determine the intake of nutrients and supplements that suit your needs. Or you can try alternative steroids like Crazy Bulk which are made from 100% natural ingredients, have been proven without any side effects, with the exact same results as the original steroids. Click here for more info about Crazy Bulk.